medicines safe during pregnancy
Taking medicines always creates a dilemma during pregnancy. The antenatal mothers can not understand which medicines are safe and which are not? The doctors usually advise to avoid medicines in this period.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
But if the pregnant woman has any kind of serious health issues like increased blood pressure or asthma then taking drugs becomes a necessity. So, before applying the pharmacological measures , it becomes mandatory to consult your physicians.
Generally the doctor recommended you to avoid any medications that are not prescribed. Because, it will show some serious consequences mostly in the 1st trimester.it’s the crucial time of development for the unborn. Formation of the baby’s organs takes place. And the drugs are putting a very harmful impact on the baby in these three months.
If you were taking medicines before pregnancy then inform your doctor. Ask him to continue or to stop those medications.
Certain medicines are very useful and safe during pregnancy . on the other hand effects of other medications on your unborn baby are completely unknown. Don’t get confused. Meet your doctor and ask which medicines are suitable for you and your baby also.
According to CDC, two third of the women in the United States take one or more prescribed medications during pregnancy.
A report estimated that 50% of us pregnancies are unplanned.therefore, all the adult women should discuss the medications including over-the-counter medicines with the health personals.
One study indicates that more than 90% of the medications approved by the FDA from 1980 to 2000 had insufficient data to determine safety in pregnancy.
Safe and acceptable medications
The doctors have some great idea about some medications. These medications have been used by pregnant women for long times. These drugs are very safe to take by the antenatal mothers.
Some safe general drugs are like;
- Tylenol such as acetaminophen ( for fever and pain)
- HIV medicines
- loratadine( for allergy)
- Some medicines for asthma
- Some antidepressants
- Antibiotics like penicillin and others
Safe specific(over-the-counter) drugs during pregnancy;
- chlorpheniramine(chlor-trimeton, efidac)
- Nasal spray oxymetazoline( afrin, neosynephrine)
- Steroid nasal spray( flonase, nasacort,rhinocort)
- Benadryl tablets
- Saline nasal spray
- Neti Pot or sinus rinse
Cold and flu
- Robitussin( some should not use in 1st trimester)
- Tylenol( acetaminophen)saline nasal drops or spray
- Guaifenesin plus dextromethorphan
- Cough Drops
- Vicks vaporub
- Milk of magnesia
It’s for 24 hours , only after 12 weeks of pregnancy
- simethicone(gas-x, mylicon for gas,pain,gavison)
- antacid( tums, rolaids,mylanta,maalox,pepcid,prevacid)
- BRAT diet( banana,rice, applesauce, toast or tea)
Fast aid ointment
- J andJ first aid cream
- Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Preparation H
- Witch hazel
Nausea and vomiting
- Doxylamine ( combination with pyridoxine)
- Sea bands
- Vitamine B6( 100 mg tablet)
- Benadryl cream
- Caladryl lotion
- Hydrocortisone cream or ointment
- Oatmeal birth( aveeno)
- Monistat or terazol( don’t insert the applicator too far)
No drug can be considered 100% safe during pregnancy. Consult your physician before use.